Why not go back to basic this menstrual hygiene Day?

Reusable cloth pads

Every May 28, people celebrate  Menstrual Hygiene Day around the world with the purpose to combat stigma and raise awareness on the management of menstrual hygiene in order to ensure health, dignity, and opportunity for women and girls around the globe.

We are lucky in the UK as most of us do not have to deal with strong stigma during our periods and in fact, most of us carry on with our lives in the same manner with or without menstruation.  The majority of us have access to products that are affordable enough and we have public toilets that we can use to change when we are out and about, as well as having good levels of sanitation at home.

This was not always the case as it took around 100 years for us to feel this way.  Just in the late 70’s disposable sanitary products made British women feel more comfortable with their periods.

Although the use of disposable sanitary products was great news for all of us, unfortunately in the UK our usage of disposable menstrual products is reaching unsustainable levels as every woman uses around 11,000 disposable products in their life during their menstrual periods. This amounts to a staggering 4.3 billion items per year.

The manufacture of disposable products relies in the extraction of oil to produce the plastic that they need – around 90% is plastic. The other 10%, uses trees and non-organic cotton, which causes problems to the environment because of the amount of water needed in their crops and the high level of pesticides, as well as other chemicals aimed to “trap” liquids.

Luckily enough reusable products are becoming more popular and although there are different types of products, we can use reusable pads to support other reusable products such as menstrual cups and reusable tampons.

Did you know that each reusable pad can be used every month for 6 to 7 years?  Each reusable pad replaces 75 to 150 disposable pads isn’t this great news?

Perhaps before life becomes “normal” again you should try these pads to see whether they are for you or not. We are sure you will love them!

Check all our reusable pads in this link https://www.ecopipoclothnappies.com/product/reusable-cloth-sanitary-menstrual-pads/